Very, Very Healthy Foods To Eat
by Adam Campbell
My brisk walking and jogging for 30 minutes every day, 5 times a week did not help me lose weight. I started the program to lose weight and instead started putting on some more.
I was perplexed but determined to set things right. I researched on the Internet, left questions on forums and browsed many medical journals on the subject. All my research and analysis did help me in the end. I started eating the right healthy foods and got my weight down. Here’s what worked for me, maybe it will help you too:
1. My brisk walking used to leave me hungry and I got into the habit of eating like an emperor. I needed to change. So, I started eating eggs for my morning breakfast. I scrambled eggs daily minus half their yolk and had these with 2 slices of toast and a little fruit spread. It left me full.
Earlier, I used to snack within an hour of my breakfast, but the eggs and all their protein kept my stomach satisfied. The protein in eggs also kept my sugar levels from spiking. Do you know that if sugar levels spike, you feel like eating? Eggs helped me lay off the calories.
2. Beans contain cholecystokinin, which is a digestive hormone that suppresses appetite. I included beans in my diet – I had them for a minimum of 4 days in a week. Beans stopped my water-cooler and coffee-machine trips and kept my food consumption in check.
3. I started eating high-volume, low-calorie food. Wanna know what that is? It’s called salad. There’s so much of salad to eat and so little calories!
Moreover, all those delicious veggies contain antioxidants and Vitamins C and E. Salad is one of the very healthy foods
to eat. If you’re including salads in your diets, cut the dressing out like I did. You’ll get used to the nutritious taste of cream-less, healthy salads in a couple of days. I couldn’t eat salad everyday and therefore I included high fiber food on days I skipped salad.
4. Most evenings were reserved for nuts, green tea, pears and grapefruit. Green tea contains catechins, which are antioxidants that speed up metabolism, which helps burn fat faster. Green tea also helped lower my bad cholesterol levels.
Grapefruit in the evening also helped me knock off weight. Grapefruit contains phytochemicals that reduce insulin levels, and reduced insulin levels in the body help convert calories from food into energy, instead of fat.
Nuts do contain many calories, but then they speed up the metabolism, which burns fat. However, you must consume nuts in moderation.
Pears contain loads of fiber and fill you up. Try having pears in the evening – you won’t feel like snacking till dinner!
5. Dinner turned into chicken soup and lean beef. Chicken soup is tasty, nutritious and helps tone down appetite for the main dish. The main dish was made out of 9 ounces of lean beef and it gave me an adequate dose of leucine, an amino acid, which increased my muscle mass. Lean beef is one of the very healthy foods to eat.
That was what my food routine turned into. I admit there were days I cheated and felt guilty later, but over time, I stuck to this 1,700-calorie-a-day diet and it helped. I kept going for my brisk walks and brought my BMI to a healthy 21 in 3 months. Try out my “healthy food to eat” diet and you will experience the difference.
Here’s to happy and healthy eating!